Business Insurance Quotes
2004 laptop theft losses top $6.7 million
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has reported that in 2004 total laptop theft losses increased to more than $6.7 million.
According to the latest statistics available from 2003, more than 600,000 PCs were stolen, according to the Safeware The Insurance Agency. Overall, theft ranks as the number two cause for overall PC loss, according to Safeware.
Additional laptop theft statistics
- Laptop theft has been attributed to 59 percent of computer attacks in government agencies, corporations, and universities during 2003
Computer crime statistics reveal that approximately 80 percent of computer crime consists of "inside jobs" by disgruntled employees.
- 73 percent of companies do not have specific security policies for their laptop computers.
Gartner Group 2003
- 80 percent of those surveyed acknowledged financial losses due to computer breeches.
- 97 percent of stolen computers are never recovered.
- The average company loss due to laptop theft is more than $47,000.
CSI/FBI Computer Crime and Security Survey, 2003
Tips to avoid having your laptop and
important information stolen
- Maintain a record of your computer hardware by make, model, and serial number.
- Engrave the company name, your name, or the state driver license number in a conspicuous place. Never use a social security number.