Ask the Home Insurance Expert
What is the process that my insurance company follows when I file a claim?
Here is a general idea of the claims process:
- Insured calls agent or claim service center to report initial claim.
- Claim received in local claim office from service center.
- The insured receives a call from the claim department to review loss facts and claim-handling procedures.
- If an inspection is not needed, the adjuster requests information needed to process the claim and issue a settlement check.
- If an inspection is needed, the claim is assigned to a field adjuster who contacts the insured and sets an appointment.
- If a contractor is involved, the adjuster attempts to meet with the customer and the contractor to reach an agreed scope and dollar amount of loss. An estimate is prepared and a check is written for the damages.
- If a contractor is not involved, the adjuster prepares an estimate and issues a check for the damages.
- If the insured obtains a contractor after the loss is settled, the insured is instructed to have the contractor review the estimate and contact the adjuster with any discrepancies.
- Every attempt is made to reach an agreed price with the contractor and resolve any discrepancies. If additional money is owed, a supplemental estimate is prepared and a check issued.