Featured Car Insurance Basics Stories
Exclusions and limitations can surprise you at the worst times. Here’s what to look for.
If your auto insurance policy is being canceled for nonpayment, don't expect a call from your agent. Here's why.
If you’ve been convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs, it will likely drive your car insurance rates through the roof.
Additional Car Insurance Basics Articles
- 12 ways to save money on car insurance
Here are the tops ways to get cheap car insurance.
- 5 crucial considerations for motorcycle buyers
Good preparation for motorcycle riding includes finding the right insurance.
- 7 ways to investigate an insurance company online
Here's how to determine which insurance companies are worthy of your business.
- Auto insurance for classic cars
Classic and antique car owners have special auto insurance needs. Their cars are typically not on the road every day and generally used for limited…
- Car insurance basics
Understand your car insurance policy and how auto insurance protects your financial interests.
- Here's the buzz: Auto insurance for electric cars
There are very good reasons why electric cars should have lower car insurance rates than those for conventional vehicles.
- How to buy uninsured motorist property-damage coverage
Learn how uninsured motorist property-damage coverage is useful, and when it's not necessary.
- How to make your insurance agent nervous: 10 questions to ask
These questions may make your agent uncomfortable but could help you find the right insurance policy.
- How to read (and actually understand!) your insurance policy
A step-by-step guide to achieving what was once thought impossible.
- How to tell Mom and Dad it's time to stop driving
Many seniors don't know when it's time to turn in their car keys. The problem is often that they fear losing their independence.
- I'll give you $20 to blow into my car
Some states require DUI offenders to install car devices that monitor alcohol levels. But what's to stop a drunk driver from paying strangers to blow…
- Insuring your tricked-out, souped-up car
"Souped-up cars" are considered high risk by many car insurance companies because their parts are often worth more than the car itself, and their owners…
- Is your dog a backseat driver?
The pooch who's romping in the back of your car may be endangering your life.
- Minimum car insurance requirements
Find out how much auto insurance your state requires that you buy.
- Proper insurance coverage for college-bound children
Learn how your auto, home and health insurance is affected when your child goes off to college.
- Road trip! Auto insurance for RVs
Before you hit the road, find out the common RV insurance misconceptions.
- Taking the slow lane by storm: Insurance for low-speed vehicles
In many states, golf carts and mini-trucks are legal on the road. Still, safety is questionable at best.
- The basics of rental car insurance
It's wise to make certain you have car insurance coverage to pay for costly repairs if you should happen to suffer an accident in a…
- The benefits of uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance
No matter what the percentage of uninsured drivers on the road, it's prudent to carry uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage.
- The penalties for driving uninsured -- and why they may be…
The punishments for driving uninsured vary widely, and you may be surprised at who thinks car insurance shouldn't be required.