Featured Car Insurance Claims Stories
And "please" is not one of them.
A new survey by Insure.com shows the top spouse lies about driving incidents and car insurance.
Don't be quick to hand over your personal information. Actually, just stay in the car.
Car Insurance Claims
Making a car insurance claim doesn’t have to be nerve-racking. Understanding your coverage is the first key to a smooth car insurance claims process. There are two types of car insurance claims:
- A first-party claim is one you make on your own policy. For example, if your car is stolen you’d make a claim on your comprehensive coverage. If you hit a tree, you’d make a claim on your collision coverage.
- A third-party claim is one you make against someone else’s auto insurance policy. For example, if someone rear-ends your car you’d make a car insurance claim against their policy for the damage and any injuries you or your passengers suffer. (Except in no-fault states.)
If you make a car insurance claim against someone else and your damage is more than their liability limit, you can either sue them for the difference or go back to your own policy to make a claim on your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists (UM/UIM) coverage.
Clearly, successful car insurance claims hinge on buying the right auto insurance in the first place. If you’ve decided not to purchase collision, comprehensive or UM/UIM coverage, or you’ve purchased only very low liability limits, you take the risk that you might have to shoulder significant expenses after a car accident.
Car insurance claims against your own policy often lead to higher car insurance rates. Some auto insurance companies “forgive” your first at-fault accident under certain circumstances, or will generally not penalize you for a small fender-bender. But if you start racking up numerous or expensive car insurance claims, or auto insurance claims related to a DUI, expect your car insurance rates to go up.
A history of car insurance claims will also haunt you if you want to switch auto insurance companies. You won’t find cheap car insurance quotes if you’re shopping for auto insurance with claims darkening your record.
Additional Car Insurance Claims Articles
- "Diminished value" car insurance claims get the wrecking ball
Getting reimbursed for your car's decreased value after an accident is almost impossible nowadays -- but here's how to sneak a claim through.
- "Stacking" your UM/UIM auto insurance coverage
Some states allow you to stack your UM/UIM car insurance coverage to collect from more than one car insurance policy. Here's how to stack your…
- "What insurance companies say about you" series: Your C.L.U.E. report
Want to know what your car insurance company says about your claims? We got our own C.L.U.E. report and found out.
- 'Excluded' really means you're excluded. No, seriously.
Has an "excluded" driver crashed your car? Happens all the time. Here's the problem.
- 'Linked in' -- but in a suspicious way
Insurers are getting better at spotting connections between customers and bogus claims.
- 5 claims insurance companies want you to make
You’d assume that insurance companies frown upon any type of claim, but there are cases in which your insurer is probably happy.
- 6 ways to make sure your car gets stolen
Most vehicles are taken because the owners are careless or much too trusting. Is this you?
- 7 signs your teenager shouldn't drive anymore
Parents can stop teen accidents before they happen by being observant.
- Allstate promises to satisfy its auto insurance claims customers
Allstate is willing to bet it won't have many dissatisfied customers.
- Are the idiot drivers around you pushing up your car insurance…
You may have a spotless driving record, but the reckless driving behavior of others in your community can have an impact on your own insurance…
- Are you entitled to brand-name car repair parts? Know your rights
Car insurance companies often use aftermarket auto parts in order to hold down repair costs.
- Auto-Owners gets top score for car insurance claims service
See which auto insurers do the best job at claims service.
- Battle plans for the road trip from hell
Lots could go wildly wrong on the road, so have your auto insurance ready.
- Cadillac Escalade reigns as king of car thefts
Tony Soprano continues to influence car thefts, three years after the HBO show went off the air.
- Can you make a 'secret' car insurance claim?
Perhaps you had a car accident that you want to keep quiet. Here are the hurdles.
- Car insurance claims: Who gets the claim-payment check?
Who receives the claim-payment check often depends on who caused the accident.
- Car insurance cover-up: What to do when an at-fault driver won't…
It's always upsetting to be involved in a traffic accident, but your stress level will rise rapidly if an at-fault driver refuses to reveal his…
- Car thieves love the Cadillac Escalade
If you enjoy your Escalade, you’re not alone.
- Consider the consequences of a claim before you buy extra insurance
Filing minor claims on these coverage types can impact your insurance rates for years afterward, especially if you rack up several claims.
- Customer satisfaction with auto insurance claims declines
The satisfaction level of motorists who had to make a car insurance claim in 2010 dipped slightly compared to last year.