Car Insurance Quotes

Find Affordable Auto Insurance

Yes No

Ask the Car Insurance Expert

My car was rear-ended. The other party was at fault. I want to be reimbursed for diminished value. (We have the same insurer.) They seem to act like they have no idea what I am talking about. I think they are just dodging me. What is my next step?

The insurance company probably knows more than it’s letting on.

[Let help you find affordable car insurance now.]

As a “third party” claimant (even though you have the same insurer) you might be able to get diminished value (DV), meaning your car is worth less because it’s been in an accident. Successful claims will also depend on state law.

If state law doesn’t rule out DV claims, the onus will be on you to show that your car has suffered diminished value, and you’d need to get an expert to document it. Here’s our story on diminished value.

Last updated: Sep. 7, 2013 Redesign Survey