Car Insurance Quotes

Find Affordable Auto Insurance


Please select your Age.


Please select your current insurer.


Ask the Car Insurance Expert

If my uncle's name is on the title of a car and I’m the principal driver, can I get the insurance under my name?

You will have to shop around, but, yes, there are car insurance companies that will allow you as the principal driver to insure the car.

[Let help you find affordable car insurance now.]

Comparison shopping for auto insurance is especially wise in your situation because most car insurance companies require you to have an “insurable interest” in the vehicle you’re insuring. 

Insurable interest basically means you’d suffer a financial loss if the vehicle were harmed or totaled.  Normally owners, co-owners, lienholders and co-signers are considered to have an insurable interest in a vehicle.

There are, however, some insurers that will allow someone without insurable interest to insure a car.  In these situations, the car owner must still be known and listed on the policy as such since he or she would have the right to know about any claims paid out and especially if the car were totaled and actual cash value were paid out.

There are a couple of other options that you might want to consider instead.

One is to see if your uncle’s car insurance company will just add you as a driver to the policy he has on the vehicle.  If you live with the person, this is usually easy to do; if not, it can be more difficult, particularly if the car won’t be garaged at the insured’s address.

Another option is for your uncle to add your name to the title of the vehicle. You then would have an insurable interest in the vehicle and could register and insure it without issue.

Last updated: Jun. 12, 2014 Redesign Survey