Prefer to talk to someone? Call a licensed agent: 1-844-855-0164

Home Insurance Quotes

Find Affordable Home Insurance Now

A trick-or-treater falls while on your property

trick or treatersHome insurance usually covers this situation, says Chris Hackett, director of personal lines for the Property Casualty Insurance Association of America (PCI), a trade group.

“Typically, there is liability coverage for slip-and-fall injuries that occur on your property,” Hackett explains. “The circumstances of each situation have to be examined to see who the responsible party is. Homeowner insurance typically includes coverage for [legal] defense costs if someone sues you for a covered liability loss.”

If the child is injured and the matter goes to court, you may be called upon to prove that you were not at fault, says Ron Moore, senior product development manager for MetLife Auto & Home. That’s why you should make sure you have adequate lighting and nothing on your walkways that could cause a child to trip.

Most policies have no-fault medical payments coverage, which pays for treatment if a nonresident is injured at your home. Limits generally are $1,000 to $5,000.

Ready to get a quote?

Get quick and easy home insurance quotes