Home Insurance Quotes
Featured Home Insurance Basics Stories
We're "shockingly unprepared" for disasters. Every time.
FAIR plans provide home insurance for high-risk properties.
Depending on what breed of dog you own, where you live and your insurance company, it could be difficult to buy home insurance that includes liability for your dog.
Additional Home Insurance Basics Articles
- Additional living expenses help when you can't be at home
If your house is unhabitable due to a disaster or fire, your home insurance can pick up the tab for living somewhere else.
- Champagne and Jacuzzi lifestyle? Oh yeah, you can claim it!
Home insurance loss-of-use coverage helps you maintain your normal standard of living while you wait for your home to be rebuilt after a disaster.
- Earthquake insurance basics
If the earth beneath your house ripples, home insurance won't cover the damage. Here's what to look for in an earthquake insurance policy.
- Flood insurance: Are you in the zone?
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been improving flood zone maps to illustrate the potential for severe flooding nationwide.
- Holiday lawn decoration disaster? Check your home insurance
Holiday decorations can quickly add up to costing hundreds of dollars, making them ripe for the picking by neighborhood vandals lacking the holiday spirit.
- Home insurance basics
How to determine the proper level of home insurance for your house, and explanations of extras you might need.
- Home insurance exclusions: What your policy won't cover
Knowledge is the best defense when you have a potential home insurance claim.
- Home insurance for antique and historic houses
Your antique house may need a special home insurance policy. Here's how to find one.
- How to horrify your home insurance agent
Are you guilty of annoying your home insurance agent? Some missteps can even compromise your coverage.
- How your home insurance can vanish overnight
Going away for a while? Make sure your home insurance doesn't leave town, too.
- Insurance for mobile and manufactured homes
Mobile home insurance is much the same as conventional home insurance.
- Sitting in the dark
The consequences of power outages might be covered by home insurance.
- Lightning hit my house!
Home insurance can pay for your fried valuables.
- Make a plan for evacuating your pets before disaster
Does your home insurance policy cover shelter for your pet during an emergency?
- Mudflow or mudslide? The answer affects your insurance claim
Mud may look all the same to you, but the dirty details affect insurance coverage.
- Sept. 28: Ask a Stupid Question Day
We asked experts in the insurance industry: “What’s the most stupid question you’ve ever heard about insurance?”
- Spontaneous combustion! Insurance for surprising fires
Dead flowers caused one recent case of spontaneous combustion. Here's how insurance pays for surprising fires.
- The basics of renters insurance
Renters face the same risk as homeowners. Learn what renters insurance covers, how it protects you, tips for saving money on a policy and compare…
- The basics of sewer backup insurance
Your current insurance might not cover nasty sewer backups
- We're on to you: 5 lies told by home insurance agents
If you hear one of these statements, your agent may be up to no good.