Prefer to talk to someone? Call a licensed agent: 1-844-855-0164

Home Insurance Quotes

Find Affordable Home Insurance Now

Spontaneous combustion

spontaneous combustion

Fires caused by spontaneous combustion are particularly dangerous. All they require is a mixture of chemicals, without heat from an outside source. Oily rags that have been tossed in a closet or onto a shelf where there is poor ventilation are subject to spontaneous combustion.

"You should not store swimming pool chemicals in the same areas as motor oil because if the two were allowed to mix, they could create a reaction that ultimately produces heat," warns Colonna. "Another adverse reaction that happens a lot with homeowners is if they are varnishing and staining and do not dispose of the rags correctly."

Here’s more on spontaneous combustion.

<<  Previous   |   Next  >>

Ready to get a quote?

Get quick and easy home insurance quotes