Chicago is the worst city in the nation for computer theft, according to a new study by Absolute Software, a Vancouver-based company that offers computer theft recovery services.
The company based its findings on an analysis on data it collected in nearly 14,000 theft recovery investigations involving subscribers during 2011. Absolute Software has more than 6 million corporate and individual subscribers.
"With this data, we can identify trends and other pertinent facts such as the top cities and airports where Absolute customers fall victim to computer theft," John Livingston, Absolute Software CEO, says in the report.
The 10 North American cities for computer theft are:
- Los Angeles
- East Chicago, Ind.
- New Orleans
- San Antonio
- Lorain, Ohio
The top 10 airports for computer theft are:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport
- Orlando (Fla.) International Airport
- San Francisco International Airport
- Chicago Midway International Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Denver International Airport
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston)
- Philadelphia International Airport
- Newark (N.J.) Liberty International Airport