California had the most dog-bite claims of any state last year, according to a State Farm analysis of its liability insurance claims data.
In 2012, 451 dog-bite claims totaling $17.1 million were filed with the insurer in California.
Last year saw a small decline in the number of dog-bite claims nationwide. State Farm reported 3,670 dog-bite claims in 2012, compared to 3,750 in 2011. Payment totaled $108 million in 2012, down by $1 million year over year.
The other nine states in the top 10 for State Farm dog-bite claims were:
- Illinois, with 337 claims; $9 million in claims paid
- Texas, 236 claims; $4.3 million
- Ohio, 235 claims, $5 million
- Pennsylvania, 165 claims, $4.5 million
- Michigan, 151 claims, $4.6 million
- Indiana, 458 claims, $2.7 million
- Florida, 123 claims, $7.1 million
- Georgia, 121 claims, $3.3 million
- New York, 116 claims, $6.4 million
Dog bites account for one-third of all home insurance liability claims, according to the Insurance Information Institute.