GEICO spent just under $1 billion in advertising in 2011, first among all property and casualty insurance writers, according to analysis by SNL Financial.
The company was responsible for $1 out of every $6 spent on insurance advertising last year. However, its growth in spending advertising dollars (10.1 percent) was actually below the industry average of 14.9 percent, and was far less than Farmers 43.9 percent increase in spending.
The top spending insurers in 2011 were:
- GEICO Corp. -- $993.8 million
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance -- $813.5 million
- Allstate Corp. -- $745.3 million
- Farmers Insurance Group of Cos. -- $718 million
- Progressive Corp. -- $536.1 million
- Liberty Mutual -- $332.5 million
- Nationwide Mutual Group -- $277.3 million
- American Family Mutual -- $167.3 million
- Travelers Companies Inc. -- $166.5 million
- American International Group -- $124.7 million