State Farm is the leading property/casualty insurer by market share, and Metropolitan Group is the leading life insurer, according to 2010 market share data released by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
State Farm captured 10.9 percent of the property/casualty insurance market, well ahead of the No. 2 insurer, Zurich Insurance Group with 5.7 percent.
Metropolitan held onto 7.8 percent of the life insurance market, followed by American International with 6.6 percent.
The 2010 market share data for life insurers and property insurance companies includes direct written premium for the top 25 groups and companies as reported by insurers to the association.
The top 10 life insurance companies by market share are:
- Metropolitan, 7.8 percent
- American International, 6.6 percent
- Northwestern Mutual, 5.9 percent
- New York Life, 5.7 percent
- Prudential of American Group, 4.8 percent
- Lincoln National, 3.9 percent
- John Hancock, 3.6 percent
- Aegon U.S. Holding Group, 3.1 percent
- Mass Mutual Life Insurance, 2.6 percent
- State Farm, 2.5 percent
The top 10 property casualty insurance companies by market share are:
- State Farm, 10.9 percent
- Zurich Insurance, 5.7 percent
- Allstate Insurance, 5.4 percent
- American International, 5.3 percent
- Liberty Mutual, 5.3 percent
- Travelers, 4.5 percent
- Berkshire Hathaway, 3.5 percent
- Nationwide Corp., 3.1 percent
- Progressive, 3.1 percent
- United Services Automobile Association, 2.3 percent