Customers trust USAA more than they trust any other company, according to the third annual Temkin Trust Ratings by the Tempkin Group, a customer experience research and consulting outfit.
The ratings cover 246 companies across 19 industries and are based on responses from 10,000 U.S. consumers. USAA's insurance business came in at No. 2, and its banking business came in at No. 1, beating out such customer favorites as Amazon.com, Trader Joe's and Charles Schwab, which also placed in the top 10. USAA's credit card business ranked sixth among all companies.
State Farm was the only other property insurance carrier that scored well above the insurance industry average. The company came in at No. 12.
Insurance carrier 21st Century, ranked at No. 227, came in last among insurers.
Health insurance plans TriCare and Kaiser Permanente were among companies that scored 20 percentage points or more higher than their industry average.
Here are the insurance carriers included in the ratings and how many points above or below the industry average they scored:
- USAA, 23 points above insurance industry average trust rating
- State Farm, 11.4 above average
- AAA, 0.1 above average
- Allstate, 1.1 below average
- Nationwide, 1.7 below average
- GEICO, 2.7 below average
- MetLife, 3.1 below average
- The Hartford, 3.4 below average
- Travelers, 4.8 below average
- Farmers, 5.6 below average
- Progressive, 6.3 below average
- American Family, 6.4 below average
- Liberty Mutual, 9.5 below average
- 21st Century, 19.8 below average
Here are the health insurance plans included in the ratings and how many points above or below the health plan average they scored:
- TriCare health plan, 21.8 points above health plan average
- Kaiser Permanente health plan, 19.7 percent above average
- Coventry Health Care, 16.1 percent above average
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield, 5.2 above average
- Medicare, 3.6 above average
- Medicaid, 0.6 below average
- Humana, 2.1 below average
- Aetna, 3.1 below average
- CIGNA, 3.8 below average
- Blue Shield of California, 4.5 below average
- Health Net, 4.8 below average
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, 5.5 below average
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, 5.6 below average
- United Healthcare, 6.2 below average
- CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield, 8.4 below average
For more ratings, see Insure.com's own insurance customer satisfaction study.