Best Insurance Companies survey 2017
USAA earned a first-place finish this year with an overall score of 97.5, the highest score of the entire survey. The insurer received a perfect five out of five for customer service and 4.75 stars for claims and price. USAA members show very high member loyalty with 96 percent planning to renew and 92 percent who would recommend the company.
Another kind of family
USAA started in 1922 when 25 army officers banded together and decided to insurance each other's automobiles. It worked out quite well. Before the year was up, they were forming a company, electing a president and hiring their first employee. Just two years later, they created a motto, "Service to the services," and USAA never really looked back.
Today USAA continually lands on "best companies to work for" and "best customer experience" lists. Based out of San Antonio, Texas, it's a bank specializing in insurance and financial services for military members.
Types of homeowners insurance offered
- Valuable Personal Property
- Rental Property Insurance
- Mobile Home
- Farm and Ranch
- Up to $5,0000 in identity theft costs (except in New York and North Carolina)
Additional policies offered
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Rental property insurance
- Valuable personal property insurance
- Flood insurance
- Life insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Consider USAA if you're a current or former member of the military
USAA is a little like an elite club. Not just anyone can join. Here's who is eligible, according to USAA's website:
- Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
- Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
- Adult children of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.
- Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.
This is a strong insurance company with a wonderful reputation. In fact, it has one of those reputations where consumers who don't have a military background sometimes wish they did, so they could get USAA insurance. Its reputation is that good. In fact, a few years ago, The Atlantic called USAA, "America's good bank."
9800 Fredericksburg Road
San Antonio, TX 78288