Best Health Insurance Offers For You
Valid zip code required
Get Quotes

Your parents can discontinue your health insurance whether or not you give them money. There’s no law saying they need to buy or provide it for you.

Federal law now requires insurers to give parents the option of keeping their adult children, up to age 26, on their health plan.  Coverage can’t be restricted or denied based on:

  • Financial dependency
  • Residency
  • Student status
  • Employment status
  • Marital status

However, this federal law doesn’t require your parents to place or keep you on their health insurance plan. 

If possible, talk your parents into at least keeping you covered until 2015. Beginning in November 2014,  it’s open enrollment period for individual health insurance plans for 2015 and you can buy your own plan 

If you are on your own to buy health insurance coverage, I suggest reading up on health insurance basics so you’ll know how to navigate today’s health insurance system.