insure logo

Why you should trust

quality icon

Quality Verified

At, we are committed to providing honest and reliable information so that you can make the best financial decisions for you and your family. All of our content is written and reviewed by industry professionals and insurance experts. We maintain strict editorial independence from insurance companies to maintain editorial integrity, so our recommendations are unbiased and are based on a comprehensive list of criteria.

If a car crashes into your home, the driver’s auto insurance policy will cover the damages up to their policy’s limits. The remaining damages will be covered by your homeowners insurance policy.

It may sound like it’s out of a movie, but cars crash into buildings more often than you may think. 

Before you do anything else, you should seek safety and call 911. After that, you’ll need to work with the person who drove the car into your home to file insurance claims. The driver’s auto insurance policy will cover the damage caused to your home, up to a limit. If the cost of the damage exceeds their auto insurance policy’s limits, your homeowners insurance policy will cover the rest.

Does homeowners insurance cover a car crashing into a house?

Yes. Most homeowners insurance policies list damage caused by a car as a covered peril. Damage to any structures, such as a garage or a fence, will be paid for as long as they are included in your homeowners insurance coverage under your dwelling coverage or other structures coverage. While you will only receive coverage up to the limits in your policy, the driver’s auto insurance policy should cover the bulk of the damages under the vehicle’s property damage liability coverage. 

Additionally, certain homeowners insurance policies may provide funds for medical care if a car crash injures a household member. You’ll want to check your policy’s fine print to see if you are eligible to be reimbursed for medical bills. 

When does homeowners insurance cover a vehicle crashing into a house?

Your homeowners insurance will cover damage caused by a car crashing into your house under most circumstances. But the driver at fault will need to file an insurance claim with their auto insurance policy first. While the driver is liable for the repairs, once the costs reach their policy’s limits, your homeowners insurance policy will take over — but you are responsible for the deductible.

But, if the driver is uninsured, you may have to rely solely on your homeowners insurance for coverage. In that case, the policy will pay out to your coverage limits, and you will likely be responsible for the deductible. 

If you accidentally crash your own car into your home, it gets a little complicated. You’ll need to file a claim with your car and home insurance policy in this situation. You will likely be responsible for some or all of the repair costs if the damage does not exceed your homeowners insurance deductible.

Does homeowners insurance cover car damage in driveway

If your car is damaged in your garage or on your driveway, it is not covered by homeowners insurance. You’ll need a robust auto insurance policy to cover any damages caused to your car. 

Still, you’ll want to make sure you get a homeowners insurance policy that provides as much coverage as possible in case of an accident, like someone driving into your house. While homeowners insurance may not pay for every cent of the damage, it can still save you tens of thousands of dollars.

author image
Nupur Gambhir
Managing Editor


Nupur Gambhir is a content editor and licensed life, health, and disability insurance expert. She has extensive experience bringing brands to life and has built award-nominated campaigns for travel and tech. Her insurance expertise has been featured in Bloomberg News, Forbes Advisor, CNET, Fortune, Slate, Real Simple, Lifehacker, The Financial Gym, and the end-of-life planning service.