insure logo

Why you should trust

quality icon

Quality Verified

At, we are committed to providing honest and reliable information so that you can make the best financial decisions for you and your family. All of our content is written and reviewed by industry professionals and insurance experts. We maintain strict editorial independence from insurance companies to maintain editorial integrity, so our recommendations are unbiased and are based on a comprehensive list of criteria.

There really is no such thing as “hurricane insurance” — a single policy you can buy to cover damage to your home. Instead, a combination of home insurance, flood insurance and, in some cases, separate windstorm coverage provide protection if you live in hurricane country.

Standard home insurance doesn’t cover damage from floods. You must buy a separate flood insurance policy to protect your home against any type of flood, whether it happens during a hurricane or other event.

In most areas of the country, standard home insurance policies cover damage from wind. But in some coastal areas, home insurance policies exclude wind or wind-blown water damage, so you must buy a separate windstorm insurance policy to get protection.

Meanwhile, home insurance in some states may include separate deductibles for damage due to hurricanes or windstorms. These deductibles typically range from 1 percent to 5 percent of a home’s insured value.

Home insurance policies widely, so it’s important to read your policy to understand the coverage, deductibles and exclusions. Talk to your insurance agent to make sure you have enough protection.

For more, see How hurricane insurance works.